Talk show host Boria Majumdar says she will serve libel notice on Wriddhiman Saha : The Tribune India

New Delhi, March 6

Talk show host Boria Majumdar has said he will serve legal notice for defamation on Indian cricketer Wriddhiman Saha in connection with the wicketkeeper’s batsman’s recent allegations that he received ‘threats’ of a journalist for not agreeing to give an interview.

In a video he shared on social media, Majumdar said the WhatsApp chat screenshots that Saha posted were a doctored version of an exchange between the two.

“There are always two sides to a story. @Wriddhipops doctored and tampered with screenshots of my WhatsApp chats which damaged my reputation and credibility. I asked @BCCI for a fair hearing. My lawyers serve @Wriddhipops with a defamation notice. Let the truth prevail,” Majumdar said in a tweet accompanying the video late Sunday night.

The development comes after Saha met with the three-member committee of BCCI which includes Deputy Chairman of the Board Rajiv Shukla, Treasurer Arun Dhumal and Supreme Council Member Prabhtej Bhatia and shared all necessary details about the incident.

“I told the committee everything I know. All the details I shared with them. I can’t tell you much at the moment. BCCI asked me not to tell the outside… of the meeting because they will answer all your questions,” Saha told reporters in the nation’s capital on Sunday.

In February, Saha, the 37-year-old centrally contracted cricketer, who had been left out of India’s Test series against Sri Lanka, took to Twitter to post a screenshot of the messages he a “respected” journalist had sent. him on WhatsApp.

The screenshot in question had the sender asking Saha “to do an interview with me”, to which Saha did not respond. The messages eventually took on a more aggressive tone: “You didn’t call. I’ll never interview you again. I don’t take insults kindly. And I’ll remember that. It wasn’t something you should have done.”

The problem escalated after former players like Ravi Shastri, Parthiv Patel, Harbhajan Singh and Virender Sehwag among others joined in the criticism of the said reporter. The Indian Cricket Board then decided to get to the bottom of the matter and set up a three member committee to investigate the matter.

Notably, the cricketer till date has not publicly named the person who allegedly ‘threatened’ him for the interview.

With Rishabh Pant establishing himself as India’s first-choice wicketkeeper and KS Bharat rising through the ranks to become his new assistant, Saha, who has played 40 Tests, has already been told by head coach Rahul Dravid that the team would move on from him and that he could make a decision about his career.

Shortly after, Saha was demoted from Group B (salary of Rs 3 crore) to Group C (Rs 1 crore) of the central BCCI contract list. He went unsold on the first day of the mega auction before being picked up by Gujarat Titans for Rs 1.9 crore on the second and final day. IANS

Javier E. Swan